Donations

All donations are greatly needed and appreciated.

They all go to the upkeep of PFD and PFD Delights

They can be set as a monthly donation or as you can give.

Click the button to be taken to Paypal.

Enter any size donation because they are all appreciated and welcome.

Thank you for your donation.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 7128
  • Total Topics: 385
  • Online Today: 5
  • Online Ever: 83
  • (December 24, 2022, 03:52:45 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 1
Total: 1

Author Topic: Ways to create Haze effects in a Daz render  (Read 111 times)

Offline fiona

• Got There!
Ways to create Haze effects in a Daz render
« on: May 08, 2015, 12:06:27 PM »
At Agent's suggestion, I moved the tutorial aspects of my "how to create haze" commentary to here.  I hope someone finds this helpful.  Links to paid products added for edification, not for promotion of any particular vendor over any other!

1.a  Haze with shaders
As Agent pointed out, one way to add haze is through volumetric shaders on your lights, but it can also be done with a shader on the camera. A shader is a set of "rules" that tell a part of the program, be it the surfaces, or the camera, how to respond in a systematic and consistent way. There are very nice paid versions for volumetric lights and cameras, but the newest release of Daz does now include a free version of volumetric lights by Omnifreaker. Everything by Omnifreaker is "uber" this or that. The proceedure is fairly simple.  Under the "lights" tab add an uber spot light, and an uber volume cone or sphere base, you select both and click on "parent cone to light". It comes with three base options for dust, smoke and clouds. It comes with a camera so you can "drive" the light around in your panel via the camera to where you want it. Always move the parent, not the child or they will get out of sync. As long as the light is bigger than the cone, you will see it.  You can change the "texture" of the cone that you see on various dials. (This simply makes some parts more transparent with a procedural map, there are freebies available for omnifreakers volumetric lights as well) A word to the wary- uber volume cones will significantly increase render time and I suggest keeping it "hidden" so it does not effect test renders.  Here is the user guide:
http://www.omnifreaker.com/index.php?title=UberVolume

As I mentioned, there are paid versions of volumetric cameras...  but I was told once, and I believe it to be true, that there is no paid product for Daz that the program itself will not do, all paid programs are merely someone else's saved short cuts.  I have yet to experiment much with creating my own shaders, but have altered others.  I am cheap... I will get a volumetric camera when I learn how to make the shader for it!  In any case here is a link to a volumetric camera shader: http://www.daz3d.com/atmospheric-effects-cameras-for-daz-studio  (I don't own it so I can't vouch for it, but it looks cool!)

1.b Haze with transparency planes
Another, much simpler way to create haze, in my book, is with a simple transparency plane.  You can make your own, or alter a freebie to your liking.  Here is a freebie called Fog Vignette, Arrow Wall & BG Plane by StudioArtVartanian that has three layers, one of which is a transparency plane: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=73021  If you look at it in a 2-d program, you will see that it is simply a milky white film that is most opaque at the outside edges and fades as it comes to the center.  Certainly something easy to make or alter in photoshop to fit the shape needed.
The key to employing the transparency plane is becoming intimately familiar with some of the options in the surfaces tab.  One of these is the diffuse.  The diffuse controls the picture you see and its color, so you could either make different maps of the fog to suit your color needs and put them in this picture slot, or you could make a white map and change the color with the color slider.  The second place to put a map in the opacity strength slot.  This controls how much of it  you see, how transparent or opaque it is. In Daz, black is invisible, and pure white is completely visible, and grey is somewhere in between.  Thus, to get the most control options for changing it in the 3d program, the best opacity maps are white and black with minimal necessary fade.  Altering a map that you are given to pure black and white is something fairly easy to accomplish in a 2d program.  With color and opacity dials at your fingertips, all you need to do is create a new plane primitive, put these maps in those slots, and scale, rotate and place it with the parameters tab to your needs.

Haze 1.c  A way that I often overlook for creating the haze effect is in postwork.  Some contests do not allow postwork, so knowing how to do it within the program is important.  There are many freebie brushes as well as paid brush sets for making postwork faster and easier.  One that I like that I hope to get is found at fantasy realms: http://fantasiesrealm.com/market/Photoshop-and-PSP/50-Light-Brushes-Vol.-1.  Peeking at it, I am sure most would say, oh, I see how that works, it lightens an area in a consistent way, in a shape.